Monday, July 31, 2006

When One Opens a Window in Paris



Windows without Screens


Windows are wonderful in Paris. I open the windows to the apartment quite often, especially in the summer during the evenings and night to let the cool breeze pass through. To the amazement of my curious American family and friends, no one has window screens in Paris or in France. At first I thought this was strange myself and then after thinking about it, I wondered why we really need screens after all.

Winged Creatures

There are very few house flies or mosquitoes in Paris. Paris is a city and one would expect fewer flies. But the streets are not exactly clean, ahem, and there are many opportunities to breed baby flies. Quite possibly the answer is the multitude of martinets or common swifts who patrol the skies of Paris. Arriving in May from Africa, announced by their little 'scree-scree' sounds and they must consume a huge number of flying insects.

I wonder about the larger flying creatures entering through an open window. There are the ground-loving grey pigeons or pigeon biset and the larger pigeons colombin much like what I think of as mourning doves, but they do not seem to mount to any sort of elevation unless they are going somewhere and then again they do not seem to be interested in entering an open window.

There are certainly other birds in Paris such as crows and seagulls but none seem to be tempted by an open window either.

With that to say, open, screenless windows are normal, even the floor to ceiling, walk-out type like I have. I do have a narrow balcony but being on the 7ème étage or the 8th floor as Americans count them, I am not worried by critters entering my apartment.

A Visitor

One warm evening while being a mouse potato at my computer, I saw a brief movement, a shadow over my left shoulder. I turned and looked. There in my the middle of my bedroom on the 8th floor of the building, looking straight at me, was a very large black cat with large yellow eyes.

I rose and called but the cat leapt out the floor-to-ceiling window... (don't worry)... onto the balcony and ran past the rather decorative but ineffective separation between my apartment's balcony and that of my neighbors. Obviously the neighbors had their walk-out window open and being curious creatures, the cat explored.

Two more times I saw the cat in the apartment. One morning I woke early to a small noise and went to investigate. Yes, it was the cat in my office playing with something. We looked at each other and the cat ran out the bedroom window.

The last time I saw the black cat was over one month ago. I had left my bedroom window closed because of a rather strong breeze during the night and when I rose for the day and entered the living room where the window was open, there was the black cat in the middle of the living room. We looked at each other for a second and the cat ran for the bedroom window. He stopped and looked at the closed window. Ooops. After two seconds of panic the black cat dashed back into the living room and desperatelyy sprang out of the open living room window on the 8th floor.... Hopefully he did not slip into the void.... But I have not seen him since.

.... and my windows are open right now.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a little message to tell you I adore your writings. Not especially this one I am commenting on, cause each post has it's own special touch. However this message brought a silk breeze to my mind... and a huge smile (knowing my cat does the same at my apartment)

I'm in love with the french life and Paris has a special place in my heart... I enjoy reading your thoughts/point of views! Please don't ever stop writing like you do, it's a liberation to my head, my thoughts, desires... :$

I'll for sure come back to read you again and again and again... and again :-)

A sweet kiss for the sweet pleasure your writings are giving me.

Miss Anonymous ;-)

Thu Aug 17, 07:27:00 PM GMT+2  
Blogger Just Me in Paris said...

[blush] Gee thanks. [/blush] I enjoy writing, photography and sharing so I hope you will come back to read my blog. Bye for now....

Thu Aug 17, 09:38:00 PM GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made a guy blush? (presumming you're a guy) Was not my direct intention :-)... Just wrote what I felt at that moment. Normally I don't speak that much (yes! a woman that doesn't like to speak much!!) but when I do my mouth is sometimes too big and I maybe say too much :$

I keep on checking you and who knows, maybe we'll pass by each other in Paris one day (just on hour away from my apartment with the divine speed of TGV :-)

Miss A.

Fri Aug 18, 12:35:00 PM GMT+2  
Blogger oakleyses said...

gucci outlet, christian louboutin, longchamp outlet, ugg outlet, ray ban sunglasses, cheap uggs, burberry outlet, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, jordan shoes, longchamp handbags, louboutin shoes, tory burch outlet, michael kors outlet, replica watches, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton handbags, nike free, rolex watches, louboutin outlet, polo ralph lauren, michael kors outlet, nike shoes, tiffany and co, air max, kate spade outlet, michael kors outlet online sale, chanel handbags, prada handbags, louboutin, polo ralph lauren outlet, ray ban sunglasses, uggs, ugg boots clearance, air max, oakley sunglasses, cheap oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses cheap, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton outlet

Thu Dec 17, 08:28:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger oakleyses said...

air max pas cher, polo lacoste, oakley pas cher, michael kors, michael kors outlet, nike air force, nike free pas cher, converse pas cher, true religion outlet, nike tn, polo ralph lauren, sac hermes, replica handbags, nike roshe run pas cher, coach outlet store online, air max, north face, sac longchamp pas cher, nike blazer, mulberry, new balance pas cher, sac burberry, hogan outlet, louboutin, longchamp, michael kors uk, nike air max, true religion jeans, lululemon outlet online, hollister, ray ban pas cher, ralph lauren, ray ban sunglasses, north face, nike roshe, true religion jeans, vanessa bruno, air jordan, kate spade handbags, nike free, coach outlet, true religion outlet, hollister, michael kors pas cher, air max, coach purses, timberland, abercrombie and fitch, sac guess, vans pas cher

Thu Dec 17, 08:30:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger oakleyses said...

ray ban, toms shoes, moncler, pandora jewelry, barbour, converse, canada goose, moncler, doke gabbana, ugg, canada goose, moncler, sac louis vuitton, sac lancel, canada goose, canada goose, barbour, moncler, ugg, louis vuitton, thomas sabo, canada goose uk, pandora jewelry, gucci, moncler outlet, moncler, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, wedding dresses, supra shoes, canada goose outlet, swarovski, karen millen, air max, marc jacobs, rolex watches, pandora charms, juicy couture, ugg boots, hollister, louis vuitton uk, sac louis vuitton, abercrombie, converse shoes, vans, montre homme, moncler, links of london, coach outlet store online, canada goose jackets, moncler

Thu Dec 17, 08:35:00 AM GMT+1  
Anonymous Cara Mengatasi Asam Lambung yang Sering Kambuh said...


This information is very useful. thank you for sharing. and I will also share information about health through the website

Cara Mengobati Sinusitis
Penyebab Mual dan BAB Berdarah
Cara Mengobati Usus Buntu
Khasiat dan manfaat QnC Jelly Gamat
Obat Radang Paru-paru Basah/Pneumonia paling Ampuh

Thu Apr 19, 09:12:00 AM GMT+2  
Blogger  Image Editing Services said...

Interesting blog. Keep up the good work.
Automobile Image Editing

Wed Oct 17, 11:31:00 AM GMT+2  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

jordan shoes
longchamp handbags
kyrie 5
goyard tote
cheap jordans
jordans
air max
yeezy 500
cheap mlb jerseys
fila shoes

Tue Sep 24, 09:42:00 AM GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home